Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Days 2 + 3 of my 3-Day Yogurt Reset!

I was able to try the Maple Hill Creamery pasture-raised yogurt from grass-fed cows (not sheep) for Days 2 + 3 of my yogurt reset, and I was a fan of this yogurt. I definitely like this yogurt, which tasted very thick, creamy, and delicious. Even though the plain was still a bit sour, I really liked the taste. The thickness and fat was shocking at first to taste, but I got more used to it. I definitely could not each that much of this yogurt because it was so rich and luxuriant (basically all fat). I also had to add other things like cacao nibs to this to add some texture so I didn't feel like I was just eating fat. 


In my last post, I neglected to describe my feelings  about how I thought the taste of full fat- pasture raised sheep milk yogurt differed than plain low-fat brand x yogurt. It definitely tasted more pure and very different from other yogurts I have had in the past. There was more body, more acidity/ sourness, and it tasted less fake (I have trouble comparing this whole food yogurt vs. the regular kind because they are so different). Overall, I think I am not a fan of sheep milk yogurt, though I really liked the full-fat-grass-fed-pasture-raised yogurt from Maple Hill Creamery. I definitely think that the Maple Hill Creamery yogurt is better than regular yogurt, but I definitely would not be able to eat that much of it at once and would feel full after eating less more quickly. I am not sure if I would eat this full fat yogurt all of the time, but I am definitely thinking about it.


Given what I have learned from your sugar and yogurt resets so far, I think my choices will change regarding yogurt over the long-term will definitely remain with me choosing only organic options and plain yogurts with me adding honey and whatever else I like. I am all for supporting farms, being sustainable, and consuming grass-fed-pasture-raised animal products. I also like the idea of eating a less processed yogurt, but I am struggling to wrap my mind around the idea that I could eat a full fat yogurt full-time. I really can't eat that much of it because it is so rich, but I think the calories end up being about the same because I would eat more of the fat-free versions of regular yogurt. I definitely will continue to eat organic and sustainable foods not just for this week, but for years from now and feed these options to my children. Assuming that I can always access and afford sustainable and organic options, I will change my purchasing decisions. I truly believe that we vote with our dollars and that sustainability is important. In a real world example, the crazy weather New Yorkers are experiencing this fall is a direct result of global warming, which can be slowed down if society slows its negative consumption habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment