Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ode to the Farmer's Market

I love the Union Square Greenmarket, but I newly discovered the Tuesday farmer's market on 10th and 2nd (by randomly seeing it when I was walking from the West Village this morning)! I got bread from Bread Alone Bakery (this organic bread bakery I am OBSESSED with), tomatoes, blueberries, a peach, and nectarines.

handmade pastries, locally roasted coffee, soups, sandwiches and panini
Photo courtesy of breadalone.com
photo 1.JPG


I love how fresh all of my produce was! Quite often, food in supermarkets in the city have been sitting in trucks for a while and taste blah or have tons of pesticides on them. Even though it costs a little more, my food tastes way better and like the actual food I am tasting. My tomatoes I got were juicy and firm (organic) deliciousness. I am only thinking of this because I literally had to throw away half of the last carton of cherry tomatoes I bought from the supermarket because they were bad :( Look at these beauties: 

photo 2.JPG

I also loved my blueberries and indulged in my peach. The farmer kept telling me it was the best I could buy, and I was like 'Uh, huh...Sure...', but he was totally right. It was AMAZING.
photo 3.JPG

I also used my tomatoes in Pooja's Summer Salad with egg, pumpkin seeds, and peaches that I usually eat for breakfast, but also for lunch and added quinoa:

photo 4.JPG

OM NOM NOM.

To try another of Pooja's delicious salads, try her new Beet-Fennel- Lentil Salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment