Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Counter Culture Coffee and Aztec Quinoa Salad

I went to Counter Culture Coffee with Jane and Pooja today for a 'cupping,' which is basically a coffee tasting of high quality beans. We wanted to try high quality coffee and learn about the food. Basically, I learned that organic coffee taste different from themselves (slightly) because their flavors may be more potently concentrated in certain bean grinds than others of the same variety. Also, I learned that I have issues with black coffee- I enjoy my splash of unsweetened soy milk- call me faint of heart. I was also in coffee shock after trying all of the different coffees black and decided to slow down. We smelled dry and wet coffees from Kenya and other parts of Africa, all of which smelled very earthy. Strangely, one smelled and tasted like tomato soup, while another was more flowery and fruity. The adding of the water and settling of the grinds in the coffee entirely changed the flavor of the coffee. I definitely liked the more traditionally flavored type of coffee. The entire experience reminded me of a wine tasting- very exploratory and best for those who are OBSESSED. I like coffee a lot, but I would not die without it either. I am thankful for the experience, nevertheless, and I am happy I had this experience. It was very interesting.

After, I went to Eataly with Jane to grab lunch. I got a Gus's pomegranate soda and a freshly made mushroom pannini. It was delicious. 'Nough said. Since the Union Square Greenmarket was open today, I made sure to stop by and buy foccaccia from Our Daily Bread (it is $3 and delicious- I am obsessed!).

Currently, I am preparing organic brown basmati rice with lentils and spices. With the leftover rice, I am considering making to psudo- rice pudding with my leftover unsweetened soy milk, honey, brown sugar, flax seeds, and cinnamon. Soon, I plan to make this recipe for Aztec quinoa: http://poojasway.com/article-cooking/december-1st-2011-aztec-quinoa-salad-wpinto-beans-chili-avocado-lime-dressing/
pooja_mottl

AZTEC QUINOA SALAD W/PINTO BEANS & CHILI-AVOCADO-LIME DRESSING

PHOto courtesy of poojasway.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment