Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Moving back in and heath goals for Winter Break

It is official. As of yesterday night, I finished my last exam (which I believe went well) and I came home to Connecticut late last night. I have spent my first official day of vacation sleeping, relaxing, and writing. Yesterday night on the way home from the city (I miss it already!), I wrote out my goals for winter break and tried to be specific so I could tangibly accomplish these goals. I will likely not have an official job over winter break, but I am on a self-improvement binge (again).

Daily goals:


  • 1.5- 3 hours exercise (1 hr skating, 30 min run, 30 min stretch/ yoga, 1 hr class/ workout/weights, etc.)... Now, I just need to join a gym at home. I am thinking Gold's Gym because I could walk to one nearby to me :)
  • 1 hr studying Italian/ reading/ watching Italian tv. I am going to Italy, so I don't want to forget the language and I want to study up on the history. I think when you know information about something, it enriches your appreciation of that experience, so I hope by increasing my knowledge of Italy, I will appreciate my time living there more!
  • 30 min-1 hr writing- whether a book or my blog
  • 1 hr reading. I really didn't have that much time to read for fun, so I am hoping to catch up!
  •  Make better whole food choices. I want to really break down and plan what I am going to eat everyday. Here is a plan that I hope to stick to:
    • Breakfast: Smoothie (from Pooja's smoothie recipes)
    • Snack: fresh or dried fruit like a banana or apple 
    • Lunch: salad
    • Snack: tea and fruit juice, maybe a few nuts if I am hungry
    • Dinner: soup, steamed veggies, organic whole grain like brown rice or whole wheat couscous
    • Dessert: Frozen fruit with tea
  • Track my food daily in my food log. I haven't been consistent with this and I see it as something that I should stick with because it helps me stay on track
Today, I was going to start this plan. However, I think I woke up too late and went to sleep too early and had too many unpacking/ life-related things to take care of today that interfered with going to the gym today. I did make popcorn straight from the kernels, and ate my mom's whole food cooking (my mom should legitimately open a restaurant).  After publishing this, I am going to finish unpacking my tons of stuff (most of which I realized I acquired from other people and didn't start with so much stuff!).

My excuse for no gym today: I am mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted from moving and traveling. Most of all, I think it is going to be really hard for me to adjust from living in NYC. I love the noise, speed, and excitement of the city, which are all completely absent from the suburbs where I live. Additionally, I feel like I am leaving a lot of friends, memories, favorite restaurants, and overall part of me in the city. I spent the last year and a half living in a place that I will not return to for the next 5+ months. However, I do hope to move back into the city over the summer. I grew up a lot in the last 2 years or so (becoming a real live grown up and all of that) and most of that time was living in the greatest city in the world. My sadness for leaving is also met with excitement for new adventures in Italy and appreciation of the opportunities that I have had in NYC and am going to have abroad. For now, I really want to get my body in tip top shape because I think that it could still use a bit of refining now that I can focus more directly on my fitness goals without distractions (a big benefit of suburban living!).

No comments:

Post a Comment