Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hugo (without the popcorn) + #SustainableMeals

I love popcorn. I don't even think that I can explain how much I love popcorn. It is one of my favorite foods (next to figs, cookies, licorice tea, pho, samosas, pickles, chickpeas, corn, and black beans), but happens to be a food that is eaten unhealthily most of the time. Obviously, traditional movie theater popcorn is loaded with fake butter (it is squirtable at room temperature- ew!?!) and drowned in salt (enough to constitute an entire mine).
Photo courtesy of themovieblog.com.
Being a classic tradition, going to the movies ( among all good things) is somehow tied in to eating- in this case, popcorn. I actually never get popcorn at the movies because of the poor quality and overall unhealthiness of the way my beloved popcorn is prepared. I went to see the movie "Hugo" in 3D this weekend with some friends, and needless to say, I really liked it. The premise is that an orphan boy lives in a train station fixing clocks, but believing he can uncover a secret message left by his father. The cool part of the movie is that it was about the movies (very meta). Parts were cheesey, but it was good.

Photo courtesy of badassdigest.com.

Anyways, I didn't eat anything while I was watching the movie because when there is a big screen distracting you, you tend to eat way more than you would in day light if you were paying attention. Also, in general, it is a bad idea to eat in front of a television screen because presentations of food are shown to increase appetite or at least make you think you should eat when you aren't even hungry. On the flip side, watching videos of food while you are eating (a meal) actually makes the food taste better- advertisers are really smart, guys.

I missed my popcorn, but I wasn't hungry or missing out on the movie experience (plus 3D is kind of awesome). The next time I will make popcorn will probably be at home where I pop kernels in a bag from the dried cob or in a closed pot (whole versions of food are always better). That way, I choose what I add. Usually, I add splashes of cinnamon, sugar, salt or throw in small chocolate pieces or crushed candy cane pieces to melt over the hot popped kernels- yum. Making your own versions of any food help you control how much of what ingredients go into your body without the chemicals of prepackaged (yellow-orange tinged) popcorns.

Also, make sure to catch the twitter party today hosted by @PoojaMottl! I am participating, too.

 jane adams 
join   and  at 4pm EST today for our  twitter chat! use the hashtag to join the convo

YOU CAN WIN TONS OF FREE STUFF! #SustainableMeals

No comments:

Post a Comment