Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Back from Vacation and Running a 5k!?!

I recently returned from my vacation in Bermuda and would first like to extend my condolences to anyone affected by the hurricane. Irene made my vacation one day longer and shut off power in my suburban home, but I am currently safe and sound in NYC. As for my eating habits on the cruise, I definitely did not eat as well as I should have. It was really hard to turn down desserts when I not only didn't have to pay for them, but friends and family were eating them right in front of me every day, and I could theoretically have as much as I want. On the other hand, I tried to stick to three meals a day with snacks (because buffet food was available everywhere 24/7), avoid midnight snacks, drink lots of water, indulge my love for tea, skip dessert (some nights) and the homemade ice cream, and go to the gym fairly regularly (which means that I went every other day). My cruise workouts consisted of running/ jogging 2 miles, stretching, minor plyometrics, and ab exercises/ crunches. I would have done the elliptical (which I am unhealthily obsessed with), but the machines on the boat weren't so great. Also, trying to run on the track and the treadmill were slightly difficult considering the waves made the boat shift quite often, so I was not always running on a flat, stationary surface. I really had to ignite my kinesthetic awareness!

Running on a treadmill is hard. Running on a treadmill  on a boat on the Atlantic is really hard. 
Now you ask, how come you are doing a 5K? I have never run a 5K before, but my friend Wei sparked my interest in doing the Susan G. Komen run, which is a crazy good/ charitable run. Wei also runs marathons, so the 5K is no big deal for her, but it kinda is for me because it is my first run.
SUSAN G KOMEN FOR THE CURE GREATER NEW YORK CITY
Photo courtesy of  http://www.komennyc.org/site/TR?fr_id=1230&pg=entry

Wei says the way she likes to train is to straight run, which we did together on the boat! She is such a nice, supportive running buddy, so I feel lucky that I have such a good friend to do the 5K with. Now, I am trying to run 2+ miles every other day to train for the run. I also am back to eating healthily (now that I don't have unlimited, all-ready-paid-for food in front of me all the time) and exercising more regularly. In fact, I did a ballet class and a pilates class yesterday. I have never done pilates before (and I think I am really bad), but I absolutely loved it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment