Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2011

Moved in and ready for a healthy, new semester at collegio!

I am all moved in to my new apartment and it is beautiful! I am so excited and love my roommates (who happen to be my best friends)- plus I am excited to start my classes on Tuesday! In preparation for the start of classes, I have been buying books and stocking up on my delicious (but also nutritious) groceries. In fact, a lot of things that I eat on a regular basis are featured on Pooja's online store, under the tab 'Dorm Room Essentials'.

Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli, 40-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4)
I am particularly obsessed with Bob's Red Mill as a brand (in general), but I am REALLY obsessed with their muesli (a special mix of whole grains that can be eaten hot or cold, and have delicious doo-dads added like nuts, fruit, juice, milk, or yogurt). For breakfast this morning, I made and ate a parfait that consisted on organic nonfat plain yogurt, frozen berries (rasp, black, straw, and blue), and of course Bob's Red Mill muesli. Most people like to eat low-fat or flavored yogurt, but I like to avoid eating unnecessary sugars that tend to be added to these products- or they add sugar/ honey instead. I don't like the taste of things to be sweet from added sugars (because I am weird), so I don't really add honey or anything like that to my foods- though I am a huge fan of adding 100% honey or maple syrup to sweeten foods instead of sugar/ sugar substitutes. After my 6 week sugar cleanse over the summer, I don't plan on doing it any time soon full-out, but I definitely want to moderate my sugar intake because I am more chipper and lively when I am not OD-ed  on the stuff.

pooja_mottl

POACHED SOCKEYE SALMON W/CHILI COCONUT SAUCE


I am also super excited to cook for my lovely roomies and am looking forward to maybe cooking up the above delicioso piece of salmon. It takes 15 minutes or less to make and I know that all of my roomies will love it! For my roomie Sophie who is a vegetarian (but hates veggies, so is really a default vegetarian), I will probably try to make these vegan pecan jam cookies (if I am being really nice and am in a cooking/ baking mood): 

jamdot

PECAN JAM COOKIES

No comments:

Post a Comment