Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My 1st 5K completed + Lansky's

I ran my first 5K today (the Susan G. Komen 2011 Race for the Cure)! I am so proud of myself- I really have never been a runner, but with the support of my friend Wei and a wee bit of training, I DID IT!!! There was a point in the run where I wanted to stop, but I knew that I had trained over the 3.2 miles and had a friend by my side- such a great feeling! Plus, it was for a good cause- finding the cure to breast cancer.
SUSAN G KOMEN FOR THE CURE GREATER NEW YORK CITY
Courtesy of Susan G. Komen website (komennyc.org)
Although this may seem like a silly comment, I was shocked by how many people were at the race- it was legitimately overwhelming! On the other hand, I felt like it was easier to continue without stopping because I saw so many other people in the same position as me- becoming a little tired, but determined to run/ jog full out. Also, I thank my lucky stars for Wei- my marathon-running friend hero!
 

After the race, Wei and I hit up Lansky's for brunch. I am not really familiar with the Upper West Side, but Wei said she really liked the place (which is apparently a famous "Old World [Jewish] Deli." Although I had been eating fairly healthy recently, I decided it was time to indulge a little. I really don't eat sweets every day and everything is ok in moderation. This meal was not at all moderate, which is why it was so good/ bad (delicious, not nutritious). As a the basic bread one recieves at a restaurant, we were given flaky, warm, soft-inside, crusty banana bread that melted in my mouth without getting goey. Saying it was good is an understatement- I would go back to Lansky's just to eat the banana bread- no joke. The manna (banana bread) was served with their homemade strawberry butter- they literally took butter and added in strawberries. I was a very happy girl after eating that. But, I also got chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream and strawberries. The pancakes were good, but were mediocre compared to the banana bread. I do not think I will have such a large amount of sugary starchy foods for a while, but it was nice to chow down on yummy eats with a good friend. For dinner, I will probably have a salad ;)
I will be back- for the banana bread. Photo courtesy of  lanskynyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment