Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The reason diets don't work + how to really live healthily

What is a diet, really?
Diets are an idea- not a reality. Marketing and advertising agencies get paid big bucks to make the public believe that they need to diet by creating the desire to be thin through the mythic creation of the 'perfect body.' In reality, the idea of a commercialized weight loss diet is profitable, but not generally helpful to the Every Man. In fact, said diets are created to make the Every Man believe that he/she is inadequate and in need of the product (diet pills, diet system) to become adequate (thin, beautiful, attractive, sexy). However, I will admit right now that there are some diets that are better than others and even a few that are quite good (including the Mediterranean diet and Weight Watchers- when done well by focusing on whole foods and skipping processed, 'low-fat' and 'low-sugar' "foods").

What should I do to lose weight?
Eat less. Exercise more.

The secret behind diets is that they only 'work' for a short period of time and often do not teach users how to maintain a level of healthful living. For example, diet pills can be very dangerous and these products are usually not evaluated by the FDA (aka you are buying potentially poisonous snake oil from a snake oil salesman). Sure a cleanse might help you lose weight quickly, but you will gain that weight back (often more) and slow your metabolism, making it hard to lose weight in the long run. Go on a more commercial diet and you likely will be  paying for an 'expert' to feed you overpriced fruit and vegetables that you could have made yourself. Say you like the convenience of pre-made and pre-portioned food (and don't mind the added cost)- consider the fact that once you go off the diet, you will gain weight and need to go back on the diet because you can't eat 'healthily' without it and it becomes your drug (yes, I am being dramatic). By eating responsibly and consistently, one will maintain a healthy and constant weight- changing the calorie intake and output shifts that equation.

As Pooja once mentioned to me, people need to learn how to eat healthy by themselves (it is really easy) and not rely on a 'diet.' Healthy eating should be a life-long habit- not just something you do to look cute. In the long run, eating healthy translates into more than weight loss/ good looks -> prevention of diseases like cancer, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. There is no such thing as the perfect body and you probably know how to feed yourself healthy food- just figure out what healthy foods you like. I like berries, squashes, nuts, seeds, beans, bananas, and I could keep going, but I will stop. One of my biggest issues is not munching on sugary cookies (my kryptonite). I am practicing the art of not throwing away my workouts in spite of yummy, fattening cookies. #notworthit

So how do I eat healthy?
To paraphrase Michael Pollan: Eat real food- mostly fruits, vegetables, and grains. Stop eating when you are full (and eat slow!) to avoid eating too much. There is a lot of processed crap to eat- just skip it.

How else can I be healthy [for life]?
1. Exercise is also important! The best thing to do is exercise that you will enjoy because you are more likely to keep up with that routine [for life]. Exercise isn't just something to do because you think you look fat in your skinny jeans- why do you think fit people and trainers exercise? A good mix is cardio, strength training, interval training, cross training (try a new sport, ride a bike, go rock climbing!), and don't forget stretching. I like ice skating, yoga, running, walking, interval training, stretching, the occasional dance class, some swimming, a touch of pilates, and then I throw in weights quite a bit. I really want to learn how to surf one day.

2. Sleep... get enough sleep. Do it.

3. Drink lots of water. This is an annoying one, but it is true! Drink up ;)

4. You have to want to live healthily- it, like all things in life, is a choice. Also, negative thinking is toxic. Positivity breeds onto those who surround you, and they breed their positive energy onto you!

*If your diet is healthy and well-balanced with good proteins, carbs, and fats, you are probably getting all of the vitamins and minerals you need, so skip the mutli-vitamins (unless your doctor has prescribed them to you).

My other recommendations include: spending times with friends and family (everyone needs chill time), making your own food (growing your own food if you have the time), buying organic locally grown produce that is in season (LOCAVORE...look into co-ops or hitting up your farmer's market), developing a hobby (other than tv watching- unless you like to stretch in front of the tv like me), and avoiding smoking altogether. I am on the fence about coffee, coconut oil, and alcohol (all when in moderation). Moderation is key.

What am I currently struggling with?
I think I eat healthier than the average bear, but I have weaknesses. I love cookies and have to avoid them at all costs (or try to eat ONE as infrequently as possible). I also have trouble explaining to hosts that I do not eat cheese (I hate it) and mostly avoid/ limit my intake of meat, cow-milk, sugar, alcohol, and refined grains (I am not a vegetarian, but I go through periods of meat grossing me out, like today- it could change tomorrow).  My parents, their friends, their first cousins (my second cousins), and our neighbors are the type of people who get personally offended when you don't eat their food. I was over my cousins house a week or so ago and they handed me several plates of food that I never requested or like (for that matter). While the gesture was kind and appreciated, I felt forced to eat some of the food to be polite. I also (we will say accidentally) ate the whole (over sized) piece of red velvet cake I was served that day after nursing it in my lap for a good hour (I was doing good until I realized I wanted cake...I don't even really like cake that much). I learned that looking at food also makes it more tempting and by removing food from your view, you are less likely to eat that food, so I try to avoid keeping kitchen cabinets open and serving dishes in front of my plates.

I am a work in progress, and that is ok.

I am not a doctor, so please don't make any drastic changes to your life without talking to a professional about your health. These are (general) things I have learned from life experience and from my own research.

No comments:

Post a Comment