Search This Blog

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Adventure to a Secret Bakery In Florence (Unhealthy, Delicious, and Froze to get it)

In Florence, there is a special attraction for those who know about them- secret bakeries. Secret bakeries are bakeries that cook for all of the cafes in the city from dusk till dawn. They open their doors to hungry patrons who know of their secret locations and pay very low prices for the goods in the middle of the night. Last night, I went with a few friends on the hunt for a secret bakery in near Santa Croce as the wind was blaring and it began to snow. We patiently waited by a door with dim light peeking through and obeying a sign written in Italian asking us to be quiet because people were sleeping. A gentleman popped his head out, asked us what we wanted, and had my friends and I an embarrassing amount of baked goods fresh from the oven in the cold winter night. I bought 2 for 2 euro (I couldn't wait in the cold for a long time, freezing my toes and nose for one baked good). I didn't eat my treat until we walked back to my apartment- a 30 minute walk away met with falling snowflakes. I had an orange flavored carb concoction with chocolate cream in the center (with the consistency of pudding) covered in sugar- not my usual cup of tea, but it was very sweet and good. I will admit that I am eating the second one as I write this, and I do not regret eating them because I know I have been being conscious of what I am eating and can have the occasional treat. The baked goods were delicious and the adventure was fun (we felt like we had to know a secret password), but we will only repeat it at the end of February when the weather gets nicer and the snow officially stops falling. For now, I am off to the Mercato Centrale in the city center (think of a Farmer's Market with every type of food vendor inside a building). Who knows what I will buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment